One step forward…
two steps back it seems. Brian’s bike was looking good after it came back although it was the wrong color. They were cool about redoing it, so he built it up for a ride or two before he sent it back. He noticed this kink in the top tube when he was packing it up to go back.
There was also one on the down tube, although barely noticeable, it’s still no good. Basically it had to be fixed. Brian called Spectrum to tell them it’d be a few more days, and I called Henry James cycle supply for more tubes. I went a little thicker on the new top and down tubes, plus a little larger diameter on the top tube. He brought the frame up over the weekend, and the repair began.
First he bought some badass stripper, because brazing powdercoat sucks.
15 seconds after stripper went on
I guess this was kinda fun, even though I didn’t want to have to do it. I think Brian’s gonna make a lamp out of the old front end.
Dang, that sucks
So he got to torch all the cable stops and head badge off while I worked on the new front triangle.
mitering the down tube
prepping the head tube
cleaning up the old rear end
I left as little trace of the original tubes as possible
placing the tubes in the jig to check for fit
tacking the tubes into place
smoke from inside the tube 🙂
ready to go?
Now this is where it all went wrong. It seems there is an oppotunity to get the head tube arm twisted when I set my jig up. On this one, Murphy took advantage of said opportunity just like the first time I built this frame. I thought I had it worked out though, I tacked it and took it to get it aligned. That’s Rich, and his alignment table which he so graciously lets me align my frames on. On the first try for this frame, I brazed it all up and then aligned it. The head tube was all out of plane, and it took tons of muscle to get it straight. I was even lifting poor Rich off the ground as he helped me twist the head tube into place. This time, he helped me pop a few of the tacks. So back to my house we were, and I cleaned the tack off the tubes to give it another go. We got my jig problem sorted though, and now the thing tacked up within .015″. I’m cool with that, so I brazed it. It’s cooling off and I’ll post a few pics later.